Listen up girls! (and guys). Today we speak with Madeleine Shaw, founder of a company called Lunapads. If you didn’t think you needed an attitude adjustment when it comes to menstrual cycles, just listen to some of the facts and statistics our guest is going to share with you today. This show is an eye-opener!
Society is not particularly comfortable talking about periods. As a matter of fact, we’ve posted a link to Gloria Steinem famous essay called, If Men Could Menstruate, where she tells us that if men had periods there would be no taboos. “Men would brag about how long and how much. And sanitary supplies would be federally funded and free”.
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- Approximately 20 billion pads, tampons and applicators are sent to North American landfills annually.
- On an individual level, each of the approximately 73 million menstruating women in North America will throw away 125 to 150kg or approximately 16,800 disposable pads or tampons in her lifetime.
- Disposable pads and tampons are made primarily of bleached kraft pulp or viscose rayon, the origin of which is wood cellulose from trees. What makes these products perform so effectively is the use of high tech chemicals such as super-absorbent acrylic polymers (SAPs) surfactant-laced gels and leak-proof plastic backings. The long-term health and environmental impact of these ingredients is contentious and largely unknown.
- In 1991, the Landbank Consultancy report reviewed the environmental impact of disposable diapers and concluded that compared to cloth diapers, throwaway diapers used 20 times more raw materials, three times more energy and twice as much water; overall they generated 60 times more waste . Disposable menstrual pads are made from substantially equivalent materials and ingredients as disposable diapers.
- Lunapads will last well over 5 years with recommended use and care, as opposed to 3 or 4 hours in the case of disposable products. While individual use may vary, we estimate that a single Lunapad replaces 120 disposable pads or tampons.
- The cost of reusable products is significantly less than disposables – women can save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over time.
- 1,000,000 disposable pads and tampons are now being diverted from landfills monthly thanks to Lunapads’ customers having made the switch to reusable products, and tens of thousands of women worldwide are feeling more connected to themselves and at peace with their consumer choices.
For more information you can visit the Lunapads website at Lunapads.com.